Forum Syd’s development cooperation works through partnerships with civil society organisations. The development cooperation focuses on improved livelihoods, awareness on democracy and human rights and gender equality; sexual and gender based violence, female genital mutilation (FGM) and the strengthening of women’s leadership, participation and influence in society.
The Diaspora programme
The diaspora programme allows Swedish diaspora organisations to collaborate with Somali civil society organisations. The programme works to strengthen livelihoods and aims to raise knowledge and awareness of democracy, human rights, gender equality.
The Swedish Somali Business Programme (SSBP)
The Swedish Somali Business Programme (SSBP) is an initiative for small to medium sized businesses operated by members of the Somali diaspora, who can apply for support to start or expand a business in Somalia. The aim of the programme is to create jobs in Somalia, particularly for women and youth, and to promote a private sector guided by ethical concerns for human rights, gender and environment.
Some key accomplishments in Somalia so far:
- Successful mobilisation and advocacy that lead to passing of the Sexual Offence Bill in Somaliland and Puntland
- Successful mobilisation and advocacy that lead to passing of the Media act for media protection in Puntland
- Support to sheikhs to provide Fatwa which limits practices of Female Gender Mutilation in Somaliland
- 28 community based organisations strengthened in advocacy and lobby capacity
- Assisted 40 diaspora entrepreneurs to establish their businesses in Somalia
- Continuous promotion and improvement of women’s political representation